5-minute word vom #6: failure and consistency

 Date: January 20, 2023
Start time: 12:30 PM
What I'm thinking about: what is failure and the challenges of consistency

Also, how to be gentle with yourself - had the thought this morning about the challenges of consistency after I fell off the wagon (is that the right term? The more time I spend living abroad in a different language, the more I seem to mix up my English idioms --- for example, I ordered eggs "easy over" the other day) with my daily Bible verse challenge (more on that if you'd like later). But this morning I told myself that consistency is not about succeeding every day; rather, it's about patiently but persistently coming back to pick up something even after failing and/or dropping off. That's how I comforted myself. 

If I'll be honest, the only thing I've managed to pick up and maintain consistency with over the last 3? years or so is flossing and brushing my teeth every single night before going to bed. (Yes, it's a habit I should have developed years ago so bite me.) All the things I've tried to pick up - blogging, instagramming, duolingo, programming, running, even daily yoga and quiet time -- I've only managed to maintain for a maximum of a few months before getting overwhelmed by life's distractions. And each time I try to pick it up again, I have varying degrees of success. 

Coming back to this blog after a hiatus, I read the previous two blogs and saw what a stunning failure my self-challenge for a blog a day for 28 days was. And again I felt disappointed in myself, a little embarrassed by my attempt to hold myself accountable via a public declaration which evidently had no impact on my performance, and not a little relief that this is my personal void on the internet where not much attention turns this way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment